Lately I've been making a bunch of things for other people, so for this project I wanted something that would be just for me! Recently my ribbon collection had been getting a bit out of hand and I needed a new ribbon holder, so I went to my pile of wood and came up with this new ribbon holder. I am really excited by it and I enjoyed the process of making it so much that I didn't take a lot of pictures of the process, but in total this project cost about $9.
Here's how I did it...
I started with a plain wood base from Michaels because I liked the how the it had been routed.
I used the table saw and cut it in half lengthwise to serve as the top and bottom of the cabinet.
Then I cut some plain 1/4" plywood about 5" wide by 27" high. I used some of my left over bead board from my kitchen project as the backing. I also had some corner pieces that I added to the front to clean up the rough ends and I added a little strip of decorative molding to back to clean up those ends. Then I went a little crazy with the molding. I had a bunch of left over molding from a trip to SCRAP for my picture frame project.
After I had the box complete, I then drilled holed in the sides and inserted dowels for the ribbon. I am still working down my incredible stock of gold spray paint, so I painted everything gold.
Here is the molding, I used two different types and they blended beautifully.
I also added a hacksaw blade at the bottom of the molding to cut the Washi Tape, but I put it horizontally and I wish I had placed it vertically to work better.
I love how the height matched up perfectly to the window sill-that doesn't always happen for me!!
I might add end caps to my dowels, but I wanted to do this on the cheap and including the caps would have added another $6 to my project.
I am so happy with how it turned out, it really gives my art room a little panache!Linking to:
Funky Junk Interiors