Friday, February 17, 2012

Floor Samples to Art

I mentioned a place called SCRAP that I frequent for all sorts of odd stuff.  Last year on one of my trips, I came across a bundle of floor samples, they seemed too good to pass up so I got them for like $3.  I must have moved them a hundred times in the garage and by the way-they're heavy-almost 20lbs. I had an idea of what I wanted to do but I had to wait for so long because I didn't have a table saw, so I waited and waited until christmas and "oh, I am so surprised that I got a table saw!" (finally) 
The samples have beautiful hardwood floor on one side and plain wood on the other and because they are meant to show how they will be installed, they are tounge and groove and fit together perfectly. 
 I used the table saw to cut pieces in a quilt pattern.  I used all 6 panels and had very little left over.  This is the beautiful side with all the floor samples-pretty, but not the look I'm going for.
 I numbered all the panels, then took it apart and started to paint them.  After I painted them, I sanded them down.  It took a few tries to get the colors right and the original numbers that I had went out the window.

 After I had it just right I then put a ton of braces on to secure all the pieces. 
Then I had to wait, and wait again for my husband to help me hang it, but all that waiting was totally worth it.

Here it is hanging in the stairwell.  Oh yeah!

Photobucket



Stuff and Nonsense

Redoux

OurDIYDiaries



Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special


Tip Junkie handmade projects

Tuesday To Do Party

3 comments:

  1. I love it, and I kid you not, I just today finally threw out my floor samples that I dragged out of the trash behind a flooring store. I thought for about a year I would use them, and I even had 2nd thoughts as I was loading them into the van. I should have looked here first!!! They are landfill now. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is so sad and ironically, I had to buy mine!

      Delete
  2. The colors of your art look great in your stairwell!
    Super job!
    gail

    ReplyDelete